Friday, November 18, 2011

Bunk Beds

With baby #3 on the way, we know we are on a deadline to get Brody out of the crib. Technically, our crib turns into a toddler bed, then a twin bed, but realistically that will never happen. We have been looking into getting bunk beds to save space in the room. My good friend Merilee had an old loft bed with a slide that she said we could buy. After an amazing price and quick setup, here's what we have. It's actually supposed to just be a bed with storage underneath, but a mattress and little boy fit just fine. By the time Brody gets too big for it, Baby #3 can scoot on in, however, Braden still fits fine and he's almost 4.

It's not hard to guess what caught the boys attention first. They both were in a mad dash for the ladder.
So they could get to the slide. Braden loves that he can slide down in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. The first night in the bed we hear him run to the bathroom. He was wearing a full pajama set and needed help unzipping it. Blake ran into help him and he proudly declared, "I got to slide down to go pee!" I have never seen a happier 3 year old at 2 am.

Our plan is to not switch Brody out of the crib until January. There's really no hurry. He doesn't know how to climb out of his crib yet which means he's still contained. I went to put him to bed that first night and he just yelled at me. "NO!" I put him down thinking he may need a little more time, it was a bit earlier than normal. He ran over to his new bed and crawled on in.

Braden is also excited to be on the top bunk. He looks forward to Thanksgiving next week at my parents house because he will sleep on the top bunk there and "it's higher."
As for Brody. That was the only night that he actually fell asleep in his bed. Every other time we've tried he comes out about 5 minutes later. We promptly put him back in the crib. Like I said, we are in no hurry, so I don't mind trying to put him in bed and then keeping the crib until we need it, which won't be until March.
As for now, the boys loved this new addition and Braden looks forward to his friend Blake coming to play for a week and sleeping on the bottom bunk. Thanks George's for keeping this in such good condition and then being willing to part with it for a great price. Bunk beds can get really expensive.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am pretty sure Owen would never sleep if there were a slide in his bedroom. But your kids are good. I am glad it has all worked out so perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Such a cool little bed! How nice.

Brent and Mallory said...

Wow what a fun addition to the room!

Ju said...

Even without the slide our kids played on the bunkbed we got for hours! I can only imagine what a slide would do! :o) how fun!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed